Wednesday 16 February 2011

Fashioning February: My Space - Gemma Cartwright from Big Girls Browse

Gemma Cartwright is a busy bee, while she is running style blog, Big Girls Browse she is also the editor of Latest in Beauty and contributes to Domestic Sluttery and Dorkadore. Add that to running her own self-named blog and you have a very busy lady. Gemma is one of the pioneers of blogging and founded Catwalk Queen back in 2002 before anyone really knew what blogging (the site was bought by Shiny Media in 2005) was so I am really excited to feature her on the site. She took time out to tell me where she writes her pretty cool blog.

Describe the concept of your blog.
Big Girls Browse is essentially about proving you don't have to be a certain size to enjoy wearing nice clothes. I'm curvy, but not drastically overweight, but the fashion industry often makes me feel 'big', and that's where the idea came from originally. I think we put too much emphasis on a number on a label, when really it's about what suits a certain person and makes them feel good. I try to cover a bit of everything, some high street, some boutique stuff, a fair amount of plus size and a lot of reviews.

Where do you scribe?
Usually from the comfort of the sofa, with some kind of trashy TV blaring in the background.

Why that place?
I edit a website for a living as well so I spend all day at a desk staring at a computer screen. When I get home, I don't really want to go to another desk and do the same, so I blog from somewhere a bit comfier.

What is on your sofa at the moment?
A couple of remote controls, an X-box controller, copies of InStyle and Elle, and a bottle of nail polish.

What form of inspiration do you have on the wall?
It's a rented flat so I'm not really supposed to put stuff on the walls, That's where Tumblr comes in, I store my inspiration digitally instead. Usually it's clothes I like, photoshoots I love and lots and lots of pictures of old movies. I love anything from the 30s through to the 60s.

Do you keep a tidy office or are you a messy worker?
I'm incredibly messy and though I've tried to change that, it never works. I just have too much stuff. The living room isn't too bad but that's only because the box room in the flat has become my 'dressing room' and is loaded with clothes, cosmetics and anything else I choose to hoard.

Will you be attending London Fashion Week?
Not this year. I've been in the past, but now my day job is in beauty writing rather than fashion, so it's not so relevant to me. Instead, I'll enjoy all the amazing coverage from the bloggers who are going and thank my lucky stars that I still get to see all the amazing clothes without having to suffer the achy feet and 14 hour days.

Check out Gemma's blog.

You can follow her on Twitter.

0 cool comments: