Wednesday 20 June 2007

In Her Shoes

After vowing never to betray my VHS videos I have succumb to pressure and finally accepted that DVDs are here to stay. Also the DVD feature on my MacBook is wonderful and I just love the subtitles as well as the extra features that you get. Ok, I stand corrected, DVDs are not so bad after all. I treated myself to two DVD titles over the weekend, In Her Shoes starring Cameron Diaz and Toni Collette and Shopgirl with Claire Danes. I have not finished Shopgirl yet but I totally and utterly adored 'In Her Shoes', it was just the sort of film that makes me go ga ga. It is about two sisters who are at complete end of the spectrum. Maggie played by Diaz is blond and ditzy and wonders through life aimlessly leaving others to pick up the pieces from her mess and Rose is a serious brunette who has a high powered job as a lawyer at a prestigious firm. Despite their huge differences the sisters are very close and tied by a huge tragedy from their past. However a traumatic event occurs that causes a rift between the two sisters and it is left for a lost family relative to bring Maggie and Rose back together. This gem of a film has wonderful dialogue, a sexy storyline and a happy slushy ending. Right up my street. 'In Her Shoes' is a film adaptation of the book of the same name which is written by uber chick lit author, Jennifer Weiner. Now I am a member of a few Chicklit groups and Ms Weiner is right up there as one of the gods of this exciting genre. However, funnily enough I have never read any of her titles so I really didn't know what to expect from this film. The movie is directed by Curtis Hanson whose other works include LA Confidential, Wonder Boys and 8 Mile and he does a fine job with the legendary Ridley Scott in producer capacity. However it is screenwriter, Susannah Grant who makes this film tick what with her witty and sharp dialogue. Grant has certainly had plenty of practise with lush dialogue while working on hit TV series, Party of Five and the award winning film Erin Brockovich. Cameron Diaz, Toni Collette and grand dame, Shirley McClaine all put in stunning performances that make this film shine. I am off to check out Jennifer Weiner's collection on amazon.com.

0 cool comments: