Sunday 12 August 2007

Beautylicious

Three ladies by the name of Kelly, Michelle and Beyonce are to blame for the use of the word Bootylicious. Yes that's right, the trio once known as Destiny's Child popularised the term with the release of their catchy single in 2002, which I must admit still sounds pretty damm good. Taking the lead from this innovation is a cute book called Beautylicious (exclamation mark) The Black Girl's Guide to the Fabulous Life. I came across this book last year while browsing through amazon.com, I was feeling pretty low at the time and needed something to boost my self esteem so I decided to buy it. It turned out to be a great investment; Beautyicious which is written by Jenyne M. Raines, a former beauty associate at Essence magazine (lifestyle magazine for African American women) is packed with tips on how to look and feel like a million dollars. Raines' mantra on beautylicious is that it is manifesto for going through life with a little swagger, a dash of sauciness and a lot of grace. Using women such as Lena Horne, Diahann Carroll and Pam Grier as role models, the book is divided into 10 sections that cover fashion tips, perk me up treats, beauty basics as well as smart entertaining and dating rules. The guide is full of elegant illustrations of gorgeous sisters and comes in a wonderful pink package. This book is beautylicious in everyway and dares you to be a diva in the best possible way.

4 cool comments:

Jamal Bonner said...

Using Pam Grier as one of the role models for such a book is an excellent idea. All the ladies you mentioned look as incredible now as they did when younger.

B said...

I saw this on Amazon awhile ago. Looks like I'll have to get it from the library next time I go. Thanks for the review.

princesa said...

Hey Ondo lady!
I didnt know you had a blogspot addy.
Am adding ur link rightaway.
be back soon.

princesa said...

This is Imma from 360