Wednesday 25 November 2009

My Space - Adenike Adenitre from Adenike's World


Adenike Adenitire is a journalist, cultural critic and PR. The former entertainment editor of the now defunct weekly black British newspaper New Nation has also written for Pride, The Sun, The Mirror, The Guardian and MTV.com among others. She has appeared as a pundit on BBC news, MTV and Radio 5 Live. She is CEO of Coast 2 Coast Media Ltd, where clients include award-winning actor Aml Ameen and award-winning singer Donae'o. She also works alongside Powerful Media, a Media and Publishing company best known for the Powerlist, an annual list of the 100 most powerful black men and women in the UK. This year she edited the company's Future Leaders, a student magazine launched at Downing Street by the prime Minster Gordon Brown. She has been running her blog Adenike's World since 2008 and she took time to discuss where she sits down to write it. 

Describe the concept of Adenike's World
My personality has always been quite indecisive, so there is no real theme to Adenike's World, as my mind flits from one thing to the next at the drop of a hat, so I wanted to leave room for this. Because of this my blog is a place where I can rant about whatever I fancy really. But because I am in the media, a lot of it does tend to lean towards this and also because I am a black women the topics lean towards things that reflect that too. No topic is off limits, it's whatever is on my mind at the time I choose to write a post. I don't blog nearly enough though, but I hate blogging for bloggings sake and sometimes it is hard to find something that inspires you. 

Where do you scribe?
I write everywhere, from my bed, my bedroom floor, my living room, even my stairs. But I guess I tend to do a lot of my blogging from my office desk. 

Why that space?
As a journalist and PR that's where I spend a lot of my working time anyway, so it puts me in the mind frame for being creative. I have everything to  hand and I am in a good space.

What's on your desk at the moment?
Lol! What isn't on my desk? No, it actually looks quite tidy in comparison to how it usually looks. I remember one day my Mum came to visit me at my old office and immediately she could tell which desk was mine, just by the sheer mess all over it - not good! lol! In terms of what's on my desk... well, there's my Mac computer, my Blackberry, some Evian water, a phone, loads of post-its and some magazines and newspapers. 

What form of inspiration do you have on the wall?
Cuttings or extracts? I don't really put anything on the wall, as in my teens there was a period of about five years when I didn't see my bedroom wall at all, as it was completely covered in posters. I had my Kylie period, my Bobby Brown period, my New Kids On The Block period (which is still ongoing minus the posters. lol!) and my Jodeci, TLC and Will Smith period. Of course now I'm a little bit too old for posters, so I like to keep things minimal. All my inspiration comes from things I store in my head. I carry so much random thoughts in my head that sometimes I have to force my self to switch off as it can be quite tiring! But a lot of my thoughts for blog posts still come from newspapers, magazines, TV, radio, the internet, life in general... 

Do you keep a tidy office or are you a messy worker?
Well I have already given you an idea about that in the fourth question . lol! Virgos are supposed to be neat and tidy, but I can testify that is not always the case. I am ashamed to say I tend to be more of a messy worker. And no matter where I am working, I always tend to leave my mark. I am trying to get better though as having a messy environment does tend to clutter you mind also.

You can follow Adenike's blog here
You can follow her on Twitter here..

0 cool comments: