Wednesday 1 December 2010

She Said, He Said

She is..NYC is one of those blogs that is a one stop shop for stories on fashion, music, film, magazines and celebrity. Like Jezebel, Gawker and Mad News, this blog is one of the places where you stop to grab your quick guilty pleasures. She is...NYC was set up by Elle Morlock in 2008 and since then she has amassed an array of followers. Her use of vibrant images and original editorial has brought her to the cusp of pop culture in the wonderful world of blogsphere. It is no surprise to hear that Elle is indeed a stylist as her great style comes out in her blog. I caught up with her to find out more about her and her blog.

What made you start blogging?
Well I've been writing poetry for the last ten years. I used to post some of my writings online and a friend of mine, Brie suggested I start a blog. It started out one dimensional but now its multi-faceted.

Describe the concept behind She is...NYC.
I never really sat and thought about what the blog would be, what it would consist of... I'm a little bit of a lot of things [laughs], I just wanted to convey that. There are so many gossip sites, I knew I didn't want be an outright carbon copy of that... I mean, I myself sift through a few of those, but they don't sustain me or give me something to think about long after the computer is off. I think my site reflects the real me, not the surface me. Even though at first glance it may appear very surface. If you pay attention to the quality of entertainment features, personal writings and more, readers will see its more than gloss. I want my readers to feel like individuals. To be informed (from a credible source) and be inspired. She Is...NYC I am, a little bit of everything...

Over the last year bloggers have really made their mark in the fashion industry, how do you think they will continue to push the boundaries over the next few years?
We rely so much on technology, namely our computers. At this point the possibilities are endless. Bloggers are doing so much more than just sitting behind a computer screen commenting on designer collections. They're being named Newsweek's most influential, hosting red carpet specials, banking over a million dollars in revenue and shooting major ad campaigns. I don't see a sector where a blogger cannot flourish.

How do you keep in touch with all the latest news in music, film and fashion?
Well me, I live, eat, sleep and breathe all of those things and that's something I've been doing well before I started my blog two years ago. I'm a very expressive person. Music, movies, and fashion have always helped me to understand myself. So I read a lot of magazines, watch a lot of movies and buy a lot of CD's... plus I'm glued to the number 1 information resource on average six hours a day.

What do you do when you are not working on your blog?
I graduated from the Fashion Institute of Technology in 2006 with two degrees. I'm a credited wardrobe stylist. I freelance on various styling jobs and work with personal clients. One of my ultimate goals is to win an Oscar for costume design, other than work, I spend a lot of time with the people closest to me doing everyday things.

Describe a typical day in your life.
A typical blogging day goes as follows: I wake up at 7:30am or so and see what I've missed during the late night hours. From 9am to 12pm I utilize the resources of the staff from daytime TV. to see if any of the things they're reporting are 'She is...' worthy. From that point on, I could either blog for one to eight more hours depending on my daily schedule. So usually I'm snacking, sitting on my couch with the television on, various magazines open on the floor, with the computer in my lap. It's all about dedication right now.

What are your favourite glossy magazines?
Harper's Bazaar and Elle are my favorites. Town & Country, Teen VogueW and Women's Health are also on my radar but I usually browse through everything.

Name five blogs that you read religiously.
They're not all "blogs" per se, but I love Trend Land, Just Jared, Red Carpet Fashion Awards, The Life Files and Dolce Vita. All very different site, all inspiring and entertaining.

How do you see your blog evolving over the next two years?
I want it to be more interactive. A couple more useful widgets, nothing too crazy. I always want it to look "clean" but not old fashioned. In the next two years I hope to have a site that people feel they have to read religiously!

You can read Elle's blog here.

You can follow her on Twitter.

0 cool comments: