Friday 25 June 2010

Bitch is the new Black by Helena Andrews

She is a bitch and so am I. Bitches get stuff done...Bitch is the new black!
Tina Fey on Saturday Night Live, 2008
Everyone is going on about this book and how great it is. I must admit the title did not do it for me but after a reading a few rave reviews it piqued my interest so I requested a review copy from Harper Collins US. Bitch is the new Black is a sort of memoir by Helena Andrews who is a hot shot journalist who has written for top magazines such as The New York Times, Marie Claire Magazine, O Magazine and Politico. Despite her glam career and fancy Ivy League education, Helena has not had the most easiest of childhoods; what with a lesbian and pot-smoking mother, a grandmother who kidnapped her in order to save her from her dysfuntional upbringing to being the only Black kid in her area. She survived all that drama and has built a great career for herself but alas her life is missing one thing - a good man. This leads her to ask the question whether her success is scaring men away. Currently I am reading I Heart Paris by Lindsey Kelk but as soon as I have finished that I will be right onto this book so look out for a review.

Bitch is the new Black is available to buy from amazon.

Check out the website here.

2 cool comments:

Kwana said...

I'm looking forward to your review.

The Lady's Lounge said...

Um... I'm confused.
Does she imply herself in the book that her upbringing was dysfunctional because her mother was a lesbian?

Also looking forward to your review