Wednesday 9 June 2010

My Space - Raquel Dennie from HomeGirl Quel (kel) in Austin

One of the many perks of blogging is being able to connect to interesting people around the world. Also blogging can be a way of keeping in touch with friends and family so they can share what you are up to. This is the case of Raquel Dennie who started her blog HomeGirl Quel (kel) in Austin in 2005 after she moved to the hip city. She uses her blog to cover all her experiences both good and bad, she writes about heavy topics such as politics as well as light things like make up. Her posts are insightful as well as entertaining and her film and book reviews are really top class so it is no surprise to hear that she was also a blogger for Honey magazine. I caught up with Raquel to find out where she writes her blog.

Describe the concept of HomeGirl Quel (kel) in Austin

HomeGirl is a personal blog, essentially an online journal that I started (pre-Facebook era) to keep my family updated on my life after college. In the beginning, I wrote a lot about my life as a working, newly-married girl. I post reviews on books, films, beauty products, and anything else I might fancy. Since becoming a stay at home mom just over two years ago, I have written a lot about this new life. Fortunately, other folks like to read my ramblings and have continued to follow me, and I've gotten some pretty cool opportunities to work with awesome bloggers, companies and advertisers.

Where do you scribe?
At a computer desk in my bedroom.

Why that place?
I have two laptops that I use for blogging sometimes too, but working on a PC at my desk feels more like work use to and I'm more inclined to go the extra mile and add links and photos to blog posts if I'm sitting in there.

What is on your desk at the moment?  
My husband's huge Triton synthesizer separates me from the huge flat screen monitor, which is set towards the back of the huge desk top. It's the perfect distraction for my two year-old who insists on sitting in my lap on the rare occasion that I attempt blogging while he's awake. With my left arm wrapped around to steady him, he bangs away on the piano keys while I bang out a draft or two on the wireless keyboard with my right hand. There are also two Logitech speakers, a blue lamp and a printer/copier/fax machine.

What form of inspiration do you have on the wall?
None. Since I write mostly about my life and interests, I don't really draw inspiration from external sources for my blogging. As my blog evolves, which it has over the years as my life has evolved, I'm sure I will write more for public consumption and will no-doubt need to draw inspiration from other art forms, events and places in my wonderful city of Austin, TX.

Do you keep a tidy office or are you a messy worker?
Messy. I can always find something more fun to do with my toddler than fold laundry and shred mail. So there are stacks of mail waiting to be shredded and 2 laundry baskets full of clean, partially folded clothes...and one suitcase that is waiting to be unpacked. And my bed is rarely made since I nap during the day when my son does, and making the bed would just seem like a colossal waste of time. 

You can read Raquel's blog here.

You can follow her on Twitter here
 

1 cool comments:

ANDWHATELSEISTHERE said...

Yeah, it was awesome reading ur story. Very interesting.
Cool blog here btw ;)