Wednesday 23 June 2010

Why I Love Being a Black Woman


In the 90s I used to buy back to back issues of Essence and devour every issues but after a few years I stopped buying the magazine as I felt that it stopped speaking to me. Essence to me was cardboard thin and full of uninspiring topics so I chose to spend my hard earned cash on magazines such as Elle and Grazia. Then last week on Twitter I came across an exciting campaign that Essence is running called ‘Why I Love Being a Beautiful Woman’ Featuring women such as as Kelly Rowland, Ledisi, Chrisette Michele, Wendy Raquel Robinson, Tichina Arnold, Tia Mowrya, Tamera Mowry, Lisa Wu-Hartwell and Tamala Arnold. Ledisi has even penned a song about the project called Real Women which conveys the feeling, inspiration and reality behind it. The ethos of the campaign champions the ideology of being a strong, confident Black women. All the wonderful attributes of being Black, female and beautiful are harnessed here. In fact Black is Beautiful is the theme of the July Issue of Essence which features Jada Pinkett-Smith as the cover star and where she talks about her issues regarding her body image (read Clutch magazine's take on this here) and how she felt insecure about her tiny frame. I have not seen the issue as yet we poor folks in the UK don’t get the US issues till a bit later than the US but I cannot wait to get my mitts on it.

3 cool comments:

ImplausibleYarn said...

Well think about us poor people here in the us who have to not only wait until later to get uk magazines but we never get any of the free stuff that gets advertised with it. It irks me every time.
I've had a similar relationship with Bust magazine, I used to buy up back copies and kept them all until one day I think it changed editors and we stopped clicking. glad to see your relationship was revived.

Moni @ CL Journal said...

Send me your address, I'll send you a copy! email me!

MsQuiche said...

I agree with you 100% on your thoughts Essence. I'm hoping it will get its mojo back, and soon. I love the idea of this campaign. The ladies all look gorgeous.