Wednesday 26 August 2009

My Space - Adrienne Smith

Along with fashion, books and magazines; interiors is another one of my passions. Over the last few months I have come across a variety of fantastic interior blogs. Fashion bloggers may rule blogsphere with beauty bloggers not far behind but those who write about stylish cool living are a new force to deal with. Enter Adrienne Smith whose blog Mustard Seed Collective portrays the best in interior design, style and art.

How did you come up with the name of your blog?
The name is inspired by the
Parable of the Mustard Seed
has always been one of my favorites from the Bible, and it basically says that even a little bit of faith, when acted upon, will produce great things. And I consider myself to be a creative person, and all creative people know it takes more than just coming up with an idea, you have to act on it. So for me the combination of creativity and belief in a vision equal a collective of decor, fashion, art, etc. I have actually been considering changing the title of my blog, but time will tell.

Where do you scribe?
As far as my blog goes, I write from my bed. It's the most comfy place-- maybe a little too comfortable. It's not uncommon to find me falling asleep at my laptop but as long as I don't push it off the bed, I'm good.

Why that place?
I spend eight hours of the day at work behind a desk staring at a computer. If I am going to keep working on the computer once I get home I want to do it in the most relaxing spot possible. My desk is actually a sewing maching my father gave my mother before I was born. She made a lot of my clothes on that machine, it has a lot of knicks and scratches and I plan to refinish it one day but I have been more focused on my bedroom. If you're on a limited budget like I am you build a space piece by piece. Patience is a requirement.



What is on your desk at the moment?
A scarf to protect the desk from further scratches, which matches the one at the end of my bed. A few sketches, mostly doodling, notecards that I am designing, a bowl of beads that I am still deciding what to do with, dried pink roses-- which I love because they dried nicely, look great and I don't have to worry about watering them. Two white ceramic hands, a giant wax candle with intricate scrollwork and my favorite issues of Domino and Elle Decor.

What form of inspiration do you have on the wall or desk ie photos, magazine cuttings or extracts?
I wish I had the guts to cut and tear out pages from a magazine, but I usually tab the pages so I can keep them neat. My laptop has many saved articles, images, tips, and blogs, all of which inspire me in various ways.

Do you keep a tidy office or are you a messy worker?
I am more tidy than messy, but I definitely have my messy moments. Sometimes it's just easier to push something to the side or pile it as high as it can go, but I make sure to straighten up before it all comes crashing down.

What will your office look like when it is ready?
I am going for an eclectic look, so I might keep the sewing machine desk. New floor-length drapes are in order, even though I love the way the sunlight comes through the one pictured early in the morning. Also a nice wall treatment, two chairs, one for sitting and the other for a guest or to drape a scarf on, an area rug, hopefully from Designers Guild to anchor everything, and a white lamp to give it all light. I will also add my own crafty touches to make it mine.

3 cool comments:

Beauty Is Diverse said...

Luv the desk arrangement.

HMcK said...

It's amazing how everything is becoming very lifestyle orientated at the mo. Nice interview!

###### said...

I love her space, and her blog..great post.