Wednesday 6 January 2010

My Space - Kwana Jackson from Kwana Writes..


Kwana Jackson has packed an awful lot into her life. A former fashion designer, she is now an author of women’s and young adult fiction. When she is not tending to her family which consist of hubby, twins and a dog, she is entertaining us on her popular blog Kwana Writes.. I caught up with her to find out exactly where she sits down to create her blog.

Describe the concept of Kwana Writes..
The tagline for Kwana Writes is: “about writing, life and knitting it all together”.  I chose that because I’m a writer working towards getting published and my main reason for the blog was to get my words and voice out for people to see. I choose life because it gave me a broad range of things to write about and being a Gemini I didn’t want to limit myself. And the “knitting it all together” part spoke to the knitter and creative person in me. I’m a former fashion designer, a wife and mother of teenage twins and also a knitter and like most women I’m constantly trying to find a way to seamlessly knit all the facets of my life together.

Where do you scribe?
I usually end of scribing on my laptop while sitting up in my bed.

Why that place?
I have tried for so long to create another workspace in our small house for myself from the basement to the kitchen breakfast nook which would work beautifully, but I find myself most comfortable and creative in the bedroom. My next project is to find a way to fit a desk and shelves into our small bedroom. My husband is not sure how I will make that happen, but I know I will. There is usually no stopping me once I get a bee in my bonnet. *grin*




What is on your bed at the moment?
My laptop, a Snuggie (it’s very chilly in my 1940’s home), my Blackberry and the remote control (yes, I like background noise).

What form of inspiration do you have on the wall ie photos, magazine cuttings or extracts?
I don’t have an inspiration board up on the wall, but I do make them for each book I write and have boxes of tear sheets that I collect. I usually keep them in a corner on my side of the bed. I also snap pics to have them on my Blackberry and keep my characters with me all the time.

Do you keep a tidy office or are you a messy worker?
Oh, messy for sure. It’s something I’m constantly working on. It must have something to do with the creative mind or at least that what I tell myself. I keep way too many books and magazines but you never know where inspiration will come from.


You can read Kwana's blog here.

Follow her on Twitter.

9 cool comments:

Kwana said...

Thanks so much for having me on your blog. I'm such a fan of yours so this is a huge honor.

Anonymous said...

Kwana Writes... is one of my faves, so thanks for featuring her.

Pretty Neat Designs said...

I enjoy Kwana's blog, and it was nice to read the interview!

pve design said...

I remember telling Kwana about you before she or I even had a blog and look at Kwana write away! I am one of Kwana's biggest fans, long time friends and neighbors. Somehow we were destined to meet each other.
pve

Joyce said...

I am a fan of Kwana and her side kick Jack. She keeps things real- mixed with humor. Thanks for the wonderful interview!

Deidra said...

Kwana rocks! She is wise and witty and fun! I read her blog every single day!

Phyllis Bourne said...

Hey Kwana! I'm a messy worker too. The dh has learned to sleep comfortably on a bed full of notes, books, magazines and a laptop.

mizwrite said...

Thanks, Musings of Ondo Lady, for featuring Kwana! We love her musings, too. (And now we know where her musings and observations come from!) Adorable post.

Kwana said...

Thanks my friends for stopping by. You all warm my heart.