Saturday 1 May 2010

Home Sweet Home: Swan Like

There are some gorgeous blogs out there that make you want to salivate over them and Lobster and Swan is one of them. The blog covers all things beautiful such as interiors, fashion, food, books and in particular her gorgeous home in Hastings. Lobster and Swan is run by Jeaka Hearne who started blogging in 2007 and since then has become one of the most popular blogs in blogsphere. With 1,545 followers, 681 on Twitter and being ranked no 18 in The Times in the poll for 50 of the world's best design blogs, it would be safe to say that Jeska is making quite a name for herself. She also runs another blog called Record of the Day which consists of pictures of the things she loves. When she is not browsing around the wonderful boutique shops in Hastings or blogging, Jeska is updating her flickr account and uploading stuff onto her Etsy shop. She took time out from her busy schedule to talk to me about blogging and life.

What made you start blogging?
When I discovered so many creative people online I just had to take the jump and start my own blog, really to connect with likeminded folk learn from others and express my creativity.

Describe the concept behind Lobster and Swan.
I guess its like an archive of all the things I find beautiful and want to share, I chose the name because of the romantic notion that these two creatures pair for life and I like the idea that the things we keep in our homes/wardrobes/lives should not be throw away but treasured forever.

The interiors blogging community has grown tremendously over the last year or so. Why do you think they are so popular?
I think they are accessible to a lot of people and if you want a more individual take on the design world this is where so much of it begins, I see the high street take trends that have started in the blogging community and really spread them a little thinly so the bloggers start new ones and have to keep one step ahead.

You come up with a lot of quirky ideas for your blog, how do you get your inspiration?
I am inspired by simple things that can make your day that little bit sweeter like baking, decorating or wrapping a gift beautifully. Also the other end of the scale by fantasy, huge extravagant fashion imagery and Tim Walker. John Galliano has been a hero of mine since I studied graphic design at college. 

What do you do when you are not working on your blog?
I have always been involved in retail, I ran a lighting store for years until the owner decided to close it, I am currently working in a bank just until I get on my feet and expand my blog further later this year. 

Describe a typical day in the life of Jeska Hearne.
Up early especially when the sun is around, make some sweet milky coffee then do some research for my blog posts, I love to bake, rearrange my inspiration wire and boards, often go out take as many photos as I can on bright days. Visiting small towns and boutiques for inspiration or looking for new artists and crafts people to promote. 

What are your favourite glossy magazines?
Selvedge, Australian Vogue Living, UK Country Living and Elle Decoration.

Name five blogs that you read religiously.
http://sunday-suppers.blogspot.com/        for Stunning recipes and photography.
http://teaforjoy.blogspot.com/                   for pretty living.
http://www.saladandsequins.com/            for Healthy living.
http://www.emmacassi.com/blog/            for the most delicate design ethic.

How do you see Lobster and Swan evolving over the next two years? 
I am expanding the blog at the moment and that should go live in the next few weeks with a portfolio, new online store, directory and other features. I hope this is the year I get away from the high street and make the leap to stand alone.

You can read Jeska's blog here.

You can follow her on Twitter here.

0 cool comments: